Partner Profile: Cairns Aquarium
A tropical Queensland aquarium, Cairns Aquarium engages visitors form near and far in environmental protection and conservation.
Inspiring people from all over the world to respect and care for the Great Barrier Reef and tropical rainforests
The Cairns Aquarium is a world-class tourist attraction and marine science educator showcasing the animals, plants and habitats of the only two adjoining World Heritage protected areas – the Great Barrier Reef and the Wet Tropics Rainforest. Protecting and conserving the biodiversity of these World Heritage-listed ecosystems underpins the Aquarium’s business philosophy and environmentally sustainable business practices.
The Aquarium is also committed to development and implementation of policies, partnerships, initiatives, and programs that integrate environmentally conscious practices into the Aquarium’s daily operations and convey a fundamental message of conservation:
- “Friends of the Aquarium” Membership – an annual subscription whereby proceeds collected are used to provide food for the 16,000 fish and animals, enclosure care and maintenance as well as environmental conservation programs through quarterly evening educational presentations.
- Successful breeding programs for vulnerable, at-risk or extinct in-the-wild marine and terrestrial life.
- Turtle Rehabilitation Centre – hosted within the Aquarium, the centre is a not-for-profit charitable entity that rehabilitates sick and injured turtles
- Say No to Plastics! The Cairns Aquarium does not offer drinks for sale in single use plastic or glass. Instead, the Aquarium provides water fountains for patrons to fill up bottles from or alternatively drinks on tap are sold in reusable glassware at the Dundee’s on-site restaurant.
- Clean Up Australia Day – the Aquarium crew area participant in the annual Clean Up Australia Day challenge by helping to pick up rubbish in either beaches, waterways or rainforest reserves around Cairns.
For more information: https://www.cairnsaquarium.com.au/tropical-queensland-aquarium/